Beginning November 15, 2022, as Melissa continues to make further improvements to the Personator Web Service . . .
Product Advisory: GeoData – File Structure Improvement
Thank you to everyone that participated in our GeoData Feedback Request regarding the consolidation 54 individual State files into one (1) single file.
We are happy to announce that the GeoData State file will be available as a single file for the next release, scheduled for: Monday, July 24, 2023.
We received positive feedback for this improvement that will save time and increase efficiency because users will no longer have to unzip each individual file and combine the data or worry if a file was missing.
What is GeoData?
- Geo*Data is a geographic database in fixed length (ASCII) format. Geo*Data includes every state within the United States. The ZIP file for the desired state (i.e. CA.ZIP) can be used to add geographic data to a mailing list. GEO*Data also contains ZIP Code and county information.
What does GeoData currently provide?
- Currently, GeoData releases include 54 individual *.zip folders for each State or Territory that must be individually extracted before the *.txt file can be imported into the "GEODATA" header file(s) (*.dbf or *.accdb).
- The “GEODATA” header file includes Field names: ZIP Code, Plus4, Latitude, Longitude, Census Tract, Census Block, FIPS Code, Place Code, Congressional District and Lat Level.
- There are 54 individual State / Territory .txt files that must be extracted individually and imported into one of the provided “GEODATA” header tables (.dbf or .accdb).
What will change with the July 24, 2023 release?
- The improvement will combine all 54 *.zip files found in the “TXT” folder into one (1) single file that includes the whole country.
Why are we changing it?
- This change would mean that our customers will no longer have to individually extract all 54 State/Territory files.
What if I still need the old format?
- The old format of 54 individual zip files will not be available in the product download, but will be available upon request for those that need it for the Quarter 3 update release on July 24, 2023. Please note that the old format will NOT be available upon request for the Quarter 4 update scheduled for release on Monday, October 23, 2023.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Tech Support at email@example.com or call 1 (800) 800-6245 option 4.
The Melissa Team