Spooktacular Marketing: 5 Ideas so Good they’re Scary
Forget Freddy Krueger movies, ghost stories by flashlight, scream masks and haunted houses – the true horror lies in wasted efforts, lost customers, low response and a ruined reputation. Don’t worry, we’ve got 5 spooktacular marketing tips – no tricks – to grow your business, cut costs and position yourself as an industry leader. They’re so good, they’re scary good!
- Use Your Best Customers to Haunt New Ones – my favorite marketing tip of all time! Finding new prospects just like your best customers, starts with customer profiling. Profiling gives you a clear idea of what motivates your customers, their buying patterns, where they live, household income, how many children they have, and so on – so you can find prospects just like them. Then it’s time to haunt – or as most normal marketing professionals call it, start your direct marketing initiatives! The customer look-alike report is my favorite tool for getting to know our customers.
- Survival of the Fittest – or at least most relevant! Seems simple enough, but are you actually staying that? Keeping up with current events and new marketing tools or techniques is arguably the most forgotten marketing tip. I could talk on the subject for hours, but in the interest of keeping your attention, I’ll keep it short.
Here are few ways you can stay relevant:
- Text messaging. Check out Phone Append services if your records are missing mobile numbers!
- Get involved in the community by joining community contests or sponsoring local events.
- Buddy-up with influencers in your industry.
- Stay savvy with social media – communicate with your customers and prospects through platforms that interest them. Try Social Media Append to find their accounts.
- Play off national holidays, current trends and industry happenings – it is an integral part of thought-leadership!
- Go way outside your comfort zone and try something nobody else has done on a select group of people – if it works, then it’s worth the investment.
- Double, Double Toil and Trouble – a quick way to free up some of your marketing budget and eliminate waste is to get rid of duplicate records. Having duplicate contact records in your marketing lists can have a spooky effect on your business – unnecessary mailing costs that could be spent someplace else, ruined sender reputation and customer distrust. Removing the dupes saves time, energy and sometimes, your business.
- Add a Little Hocus Pocus – it will feel like new leads magically appear when you capture the contact information of your website traffic. Tools like Web Visitor help you quickly identify your web visitors so you can retarget them with direct mail, email and telemarketing efforts. The best part is that you are able to reach an audience that is already interested in what you offer. You also get location info for geo-fencing and to determine new areas of interest.
- Bring Your Customer Database Back from the Dead – you know we had to add it! Not only is data cleansing the trick we’ll always stand behind, but it’s a tactic that gives you the greatest return on your investment. Even for companies or nonprofits with a tight budget, appending your old contact data is the place to start. Updating addresses of customers who have moved and adding accurate phone numbers and email address to your postal records are the first steps in creating successful omnichannel marketing campaigns.
About The Author